Friday, April 23, 2010

What is your BMI?

Days 172 & 173


No, the item in the above picture is not a new video game controller. It is, in fact, a Fat Loss Monitor. When used properly it helps estimate the percentage of body fat one has, their Body Mass Index (BMI) and what body fat range one falls in; low (underfat), normal (healthy), high (overfat) or very high (obese).

I have asked the nice people at my local Y now to measure my body fat and BMI numbers with their fat loss monitor a few times in the past few months. Finally, I figured if I was getting it checked this often anyways why not just buy a monitor of my own? So a few weeks ago I broke down and bought one and when it arrived on 4/12 I went about using it for the first time.

After programming the fat loss monitor with my sex, age, height, current weight and another factor or two that I can’t remember right now, I was ready to find out my body fat percentage and BMI. After pressing the start button I gripped the handles of the monitor and squeezed as the monitor manual instructed.

My numbers were:

22.2 FAT
24.6 BMI

When I used it again this Monday (4/19) my numbers were:

20.0 FAT
24.6 BMI


According to this chart:


I am borderline healthy/overfat for my age group, 20 – 39. It also looks like my fat went down a little while my BMI stayed the same. I didn’t know that was possible.

147 - 162 lbs is the ideal range of weight I should be according to reverse BMI calculating. This calculator here is just one of the ones I used to find that range.

At the presentation I did on going meatless at the AAPC meeting two days ago (more on how that went in a future entry), a member pointed out that muscle gain may skewer the BMI number in the future when entering weight into the fat loss monitor. This is a good question to ask the people at my local Y. Sure, I have a neat new weight loss toy but will it be useless if I obtain more and more muscle?

Talk to you soon!
meatlessman@yahoo.com
Facebook A Man Finally Eats his Veggies Fan Page
Meatless Man on Twitter
Meatless Man Channel on YouTube
All writing, videos and pictures copyright the author of this blog unless otherwise noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment